Travels with Alice and George

I've been on the road for the last few weeks. In telling you about it, I think the most important thing is that I deactivated my Facebook account and deleted Twitter, Slack, and Instagram from my phone. As a result, I read a book. (Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver.) I'd tell you how long it's been since I read a book, but that would require that I log in to Facebook since my Goodreads account is linked to Fb. So let's just say it's been a while, and that  I hate the Internet and want my old brain back.

I visited six places on my trip: Nevada, Southwest Oregon, Portland, Chicago, Ann Arbor, and the Oregon Coast.

First, I drove to Nevada (with a brief detour to Royal Gorge on the American River in the Sierras) and ran the very nice Ruby Crest trail with Brian. We also tried to do the East Humboldt range the next day, but it didn't work out because the trail doesn't exist anymore.


Second, I drove to remote Powers, OR, where I locked myself in a friend's cabin and worked on a paper that I need to finish. Nobody bothered me, and I was productive.


Third, I drove to Portland, OR to present at a conference. My friend's goat tried to help me with some statistical analysis.

Fourth, I flew to Chicago to visit Sorrels. We went for a bike ride and watched a documentary about tickling.


Fifth I took the train from Chicago to Ann Arbor, Michigan where I taught a two-day workshop on research transparency and reproducibility as part of the ICPSR Summer Program.


Sixth, I flew back to Portland, and then drove home down the 101. I saw the Columbia River Gorge, Astoria (sadly the Goonies house is off limits), Ecola State Park ("Bells Beach" in Point Break), a bunch of other small state parks and beaches, and lastly Humoldt Redwoods State Park (Avenue of the Giants) in California.


And now we're back home. It was a great trip, seeing mostly places I hadn't seen before. Hopefully I'll find time to write more about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run