Adventures in Jealousy

My friends are doing awesome things. Krudmeister just finished his bike/hike/paddle trip from Reno to the Chilkoot pass and down the Yukon to the Bering Sea. Read his most recent post on his facebook fan page. Here's a bit I liked.
This has been a very positive way for me to re connect with the state I was born and raised in. It feels like home even though I haven't lived here for 20 odd years. It is changing fast up here due to global warming. The perma frost in particular is melting rapidly and the Yukon for example is literally washing away its banks and carving the river at a pace never seen before. I was blown away by what I was seeing. I apologize in advance for being pessimistic, but I really feel I need to see this stuff now. It isn't going to be around much longer. The villagers along the way told me they are seeing Polar Bear in Ft. Yukon and at the mouth of the Yukon near Emmonak. That is nuts! Musk ox in Galena? The villagers don't need any scientists to tell them a drastic change is occurring, they all agree and remark with surprise the changes they are seeing and how fast it is occurring. I just want to know I have experienced it and documented it for others to think about.
And Scott Williamson is at it again, attempting to lower his own PCT speed record. It's not my thing to hike the same trail over a dozen times, but more power to him.

I'm back in the US in less than 4 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run