Good African Article/Coffee

This article on coffee/entrepreneurship/Africa/development/dependency is pretty good. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/can-coffee-kick-start-an-economy.html

If I had the time, I'd add the book it mentions, Dead Aid, to my reading list. For now I'm working on King Leopold's Ghost, which is quite good. The article discusses skepticism of aid, and since I'm pretty (extremely?) skeptical in general, I think that's pretty interesting. In a discussion with a cool new co-worker a couple weeks ago, my co-worker suggested a novel way to think positively about our work: "At least we're not extracting natural resources." So yeh, I could be doing a lot worse. (FYI, I'm not down on my work right now, it's actually pretty cool, it's just the subject of the article which brought it up.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run