Kuala Lumpur

I briefly stopped over in Kuala Lumpur on my way to and from Sumatra. I wasn't all that impressed by the city, and unfortunately I didn't get to travel outside of it at all. I spent a couple days walking around Chinatown, the (small) old colonial area, Lake Gardens park, and the Brickfields area. The city is way more developed than I expected. Not that I want to hold it against other countries when they start to develop, but I think walking around outdoor markets with hundreds of individual stalls is fun, while walking around multi-story indoor air-conditioned malls is not. It seemed to me that Malaysia is at the stage of economic development where they are justifiably proud of becoming a New Asian Tiger or whatever, and the environment and aesthetics are temporarily (hopefully) relatively less important. I don't really know what I'm talking about, but that's how I felt--the sole downtown park felt abandoned, KFC, McDonalds and 7-11 were omnipresent, and being a pedestrian was putting your life on the line. On a good note, I thought the vast multi-culturalism was fantastic.

Here are a few pics. More are on my picasa page. More on Indonesia later.

evidence of a famous graffiti artist
chinatown market during the day when it's empty
Lake Gardens park
McDonald's tray liner. Enlarge it and read it. At first I thought this was the most horrible thing I'd ever read, but then I saw a ballpoint pen ad on TV that was basically the same. So maybe it's just that all their ads are like nationalist Ovaltine ads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run