Mushrooms n' Poop

Dear Graham Greene,
Dude, you're Catholic. I get it already.
Sincerely,
Garret

Just finished Graham Greene's The Quiet American. I read The Heart of the Matter a while ago and really liked it. A friend was surprised that I didn't find the element of Catholic guilt overbearing, and he insisted I'd feel that way if I read more of Greene's stuff. I guess that friend was right. No offense intended (this is a critique of Greene's writing, not Catholicism itself) but if Heart of the Matter was the "Catholics can't commit suicide" book, The Quiet American is the "Catholics can't get divorced" book. It's about an American and an Englishman both in love with the same Vietnamese woman, set during the French colonial collapse. There was one great part where the characters think they're going to die and have a conversation about everything important: love, sex, death, God, and imperialism. Other than that, I wasn't enthralled. Things came together in an interesting way at the end that said things about both love and colonialism, but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest.

On a lighter note, certain comic strips are way past their prime, but mocking them can still provide laughs.
Joe Mathlete explains today's Marmaduke, and Garfield minus Garfield. [Thanks, JS]

Did a great 4-hour run yesterday. Also finally started working on Thursday and Friday, writing up one of my (bad) research ideas. Not being lazy makes me hate life a whole lot less, so that's awesome.

Comments

  1. I love Graham Greene, but maybe that's just because I wish I were Catholic. Have you read The Power and the Glory?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run