50K+

I set a new 50K PR at Pirate's Cove/Rodeo Beach on Saturday, taking 11 minutes off December's time on the same course, finishing in 5:21 this time. I biked the 9.5 miles from my house to BART and BART to Rodeo Beach, ran the course, and was going to ride home in the cold rain across the cold bridge, but after a mile or so I realized I forgot my water bottle and when I went back for it I gladly accepted a ride from somebody with a truck heading through the East Bay.

I've been trying to think of what it is I'm doing differently that's making me faster lately. I think it's some combination of (a)living three-tenths of a mile from an awesome trailhead and steep hill, (b)racing more than I ever have before (8 events last year, basically one a month lately) and (c)having hiker-trash friends that are getting into ultras and thinking that I better not get beat by them since I'm the supposed expert. It can't be all (a) because I only moved in January, so it's probably (b) and a lot of (c). Either way I'm happy it's working.

I saw Coraline in 3D yesterday, and I now have a new appreciation for Pixar's ability to make movies that both adults and kids like.

Headed to Portland on Thursday for TrailFest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run