Not nearly as disgusting as you might expect

I spent the weekend at the ALDHA-West (American Long Distance Hiking Association) Gathering at the Lake Wenatchee, WA YMCA camp. It's pretty close to the PCT, and it just so happens that when I was hiking the PCT in '04 this retired Microsoft m(b?)illionaire and his wife picked me up when I was hitching back to the trail from Skykomish and gave me one of the best trail-magic hookups I've ever gotten, letting me stay at their private resort that is on the same lake, but I digress. ALDHA-West is the keeper of the Triple Crown award, so I had a pretty awesome time hanging out with several other CDT '07 hikers who were also receiving their awards. Also there were some cool presentations by Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman, who spent a year hiking/skiing/packrafting from Seattle to the beginning of the Aleutian Islands, and photos from Eric Ryback's '69, '70, and '71 hikes of the AT, PCT, and CDT, in what might have been the first triple crown. Also, I learned that clam juice, tomato juice, and beer is not quite as disgusting a concoction as you might imagine. But thankfully now that I actually know what "clamato" is, I can decline all future offers of a chelada on account of being vegetarian.

The back row, triple crowners receiving awards this year, L to R: Nimblewill Nomad, Wildcat, Lint, Nitro, me, Wildflower, Li, and Eric Ryback.

Nitro, mocking the sacred institution that is the Triple Crown/paying homage to the golden age of hiking

Lake Wenatchee

Mad Monty and a tiny portion of his collection of stoves

Comments

  1. Lake Wenatchee-- not far from Plain, WA, home of the Plain 100.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run