Eleven Books, 6 Easy Hours

Things I Love Right Now:

The Earned Income Tax Credit. Hooray for a negative income tax rate for working five months out of the year!

Things That Bug Me Right Now:

Filing your federal taxes on turbotax.com isn't actually free, despite the numerous signs saying that it is, unless you start the process from irs.gov or taxfreedom.com. I forget this every year and have to go back and do it all over again.

I was hoping to run the Pirate's Cove 50K next Saturday, but I couldn't get next Saturday off and had yesterday free instead, so I picked a random route through Tilden and Wildcat Parks for six or seven hours yesterday. I felt great, but I almost killed myself on the bike ride home. I took a really sharp turn, but was still trying to crank it to beat a light, the pedal hit the ground, bouncing me off the pedals and throwing the bike in the other direction towards the cars waiting at the light. I managed to get one hand on a brake a couple inches before I would've flown across the hood of the pickup first in line, earning the thumbs up from the frightened driver watching it all play out. That part and the fact that I listened to The Fountainhead on my iPod the entire time were the only bad parts.

I couldn't resist buying another book (The Last Season, Eric Blehm) at Cody's, but I feel less stupid about buying a large number of books that will take me years to get around to reading because I finished reading Wallace Stegner and the American West by Philip Fradkin. It was a pretty good biography. Not super-amazing or anything, but good. It did clue me in on some other Western authors I should probably check out some time (Terry Tempest Williams, Mary Austin), plus some Stegner stuff I hadn't heard about (The Wilderness Letter).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run