Getting Left Shoes

I finally got a job. I'm working at a gear shop called Any Mountain. In winter it's 90% ski and snowboard stuff, it doesn't have much local flavor because it's owned by a huge company that has 170 stores under 40 names and is majority owned by Vail Resorts, and until today there hasn't been any snow in the Sierras, so business has been very slow. The company is kind of cool because they've bought enough wind energy credits to power the whole business, and they have programs to encourage donations to Big City Mountaineers. Anyway, I mostly just float around the store, get left shoes from the back for people, and occasionally help people with camping gear. Whatever. I didn't like it at first, but I seem to hate it less and less every day (I've worked four days now), so we'll see. Sorry, no funny stories about crazy people yet.

I went to a free advanced screening of the movie Juno. The soundtrack rocked, and the movie was absolutely hilarious (what movie with Michael and George Michael from Arrested Development, Dwight from The Office, and a 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes could be anything but great?) but I think it was pretty hard to meet my super-high expectations. I also thought it was a little weird that Juno and her friends maintained their same witty sorta vicious sarcasm when they found out she was pregnant. The tone changed in the second half of the movie, but the first half was oddly too funny given the circumstances. That said, still great.

Comments

  1. I loved Juno, in a very odd sort of way. On the one hand, I thought, "This is a horrible movie! The message is that teenage sex is more about true love than marriage!" But then, the teenage sex was somehow sort of sweet. I finally concluded that it was only because Bleeker was such a sympathetic character, and entirely unrealistic for what the typical teenage boy's response would be. I burst into tears when the adoptive mother picked up the baby for the first time, which really creeped my husband out. Fortunately he interpreted my sudden emotional outburst (correctly) as a response to the movie, not as a signal to him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run