Idi Amin and Mr. Magoo

So am I going hiking? It would seem so. On Tuesday I went to a slide show at a nearby REI by this potential CDT yo-yo guy Mr. Magoo (real name Francis Tapon, hikeyourownhike.com.) He turned out pretty cool and we ended up shooting trail-bull in the Krispy Kreme parking lot til around midnight. Saturday I went to a development economics conference at UC Davis that made me think economics is OK, but then I watched Jeremiah Johnson on TV so I wanted to live in the mountains and get chased by grizzlies and hatchet-wielding foes for a living. So at the moment I could be said to be excited about both hiking and school. (Although tomorrow I could easily resume my rotation amongst the four possibilities: +/+, +/-, -/-, and -/+.) Hiking just northbound and coming back to school in time for fall semester (August 27) is a possibility, but seems less awesome than a yo-yo.

I also saw The Last King of Scotland and finished reading Ryszard Kapuscinski's The Shadow of the Sun: My African Life. I didn't enjoy Scotland nearly as much as I'd hoped; I thought it was patronizing and manipulative towards Africans, but maybe that's just because I had that idea in my head when I went to see it because a friend had just told me that's what he thought. Shadow was good, not great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adze Picket Co. (I Love the PCT)

The 50th Year of Trying to Hold the Western States Endurance Run

Hardrock 34:42